Sunday, April 6, 2014

Why You Should Adopt An Adult Pet

Kittens are adorable. Puppies are so playful! Both are little balls of fur that every child just wants to cuddle until there's nothing left of them. I will agree, puppies and kitten and baby chicks and bunnies are some of the cutest things in the world. They are made of all things right in the world. I'll admit, I've been a sucker and adopted many kittens and puppies in my life, and I'm sure I'll keep doing it. Just look! How can you resist?

There are, of course, some downsides to adopting a baby. The cute little ball of fluff might be scared of people, especially if it's from the shelter. The most adorable one might be completely terrified of you or your toddler. They may grow out of it, but you have no way of knowing. I have a 16 year old Persian that, to this day, will run from or hiss at anyone who is not my step father. All the love in the world could not cure her of her fear of everyone. The temperament of your new fur baby is also iffy when you get it young. Like my Persian, you don't know how they'll be when they grow up. When I was young, we had a Min Pin that seemed great. As he got a little older, we discovered that he really hated children (We found this out after he nearly bit the entire top of my finger off). We ended up giving him to an elderly couple down the road, and he was the best dog they had ever had.

Adults and seniors are perfect for the person or family that knows exactly what they're looking for! With them, what you see is what you get. The shelter can help you find your perfect new member of the family. With kittens and puppies, all seem "friendly" or "shy" or "playful" at first, but that can change going to a new home or as they get a little older. With adults, what you see is what you get. The shelter knows if they're good with kids, other animals, and what kind of personality they have. You will know if you're getting a lap cat or an energetic dog.

Another problem with the young ones is that they may not know exactly where to do their business. Kittens are easier to train, but puppies take time. If you don't have the time to put into repeatedly taking them outside at every chance you get, or the time to clean up the mess that will surely happen at least once or twice, then puppies can be a problem.
In general, adults should know where to go when they have that urge. They've been around longer, and most have already been trained by previous owners or the wonderful staff at the shelter.

All animals are a time commitment, and by that, I don't mean exercise (though they do need that as well!). I'm talking about the years you spend with the smallest member of the family. By getting a puppy or a kitten, you're making a time commitment of anywhere between 8-20 years, depending on breed. Will you always live somewhere where you can have animals? Are you willing to pick places to live based on pet-friendliness? Will you always be able to provide for this creature? These are serious questions to ask yourself and your family before considering any pet. Adult pets sadly, will spend less time with you. It will mean everything to them though. We live ten times longer than dogs and cats, so a few years doesn't seem like long to us, but to them, a few years means an entire lifetime that they can have a home and a family to love them.


Adult pets will appreciate you more for what you've done. Kittens will be quick to forget that they had to spend a week in the shelter before you came along, but an adult will remember. Many have been abandoned because a previous home didn't work out, so they will love you for picking up the slack that someone else couldn't handle.

And finally, you can be that change in an animal's life. Adult and senior animals are some of the least likely to get adopted, and the most likely to have a long stay at the shelter and most likely to get euthanized. These animals aren't any less deserving of a forever home, it's just that too many people want the little, adorable kittens and puppies.

I'm not saying that we should change it around so that babies are least likely to be adopted, I just want more people to know that getting something with a few more miles on it is still a wonderful investment. These animals will love you until the day they die, and you know exactly what you're getting. Adopting older means lower maintenance, less messes, and a ton of cuddle time. What's the problem?
Me and my baby Roxy, the
6-year rat terrier mix




Also, in case I didn't mention it enough, ADOPT! There's no need to spend a ton of money on an animal when you can get one for cheap fixed that will love you even more than one bought from a breeder or pet store. "Mutt" just means they have the best traits from a ton of breeds :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessi! I really, really enjoyed your blog post! My kids and I have been going around and around for months about getting a dog and it is a really tough decision to make. My kids are older and have never experienced the joy of loving one and being loved by one. You make such an excellent point about choosing an adult over a puppy - their personality is known so the relationship starts off in the right direction. I had a dog for almost ten years that we got at a pound. She was the quietest one there and was the most loving, gentle and protective friend a child could ever ask for. She brought so much to my life, much more than the puppies we ever had. I am going to let my kiddies read your post to help us work through this decision. They saw the puppy mills when we lived in Louisiana so I keep trying to make them understand that it is much more meaningful and kind to give one a home who might have nothing else. :) Roxy is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete